Right now I’m putting off a three-page paper, a quiz, three lecture recordings, figuring out the subject for a project, and writing an article. Look, I got real busy and wowza did I just realize how much I actually have to do.
While I wait for my mac n’ cheese to do its thing, I thought I’d tell you about some of the ways I keep myself motivated and on track when things get hectic. Like right now. In hindsight, that probably wasn’t the best opener for a post like this…
- Write it all out– What would you have to do if you didn’t know what you had to do? Didn’t Satchel Paige say something like that? Some people live by their planners and other people live by the seat of their pants. Somehow, I am both. Weeks upon weeks will be blank in my planner until panic hits me and suddenly I have to write down everything. Maybe you’re the same, maybe not. If anything, just jotting it all down on a sticky note, old receipt, whatever you’ve got can sometimes help. I’m a visual person, so I like to be able to look at everything to make a game plan from there.
- Shower– Showering is my Windex; I treat it as a cure all. Cold? Shower. Sad? Shower. Too much stuff, not enough time? Shower. You get a nice, relaxing break to think about what you’ll tackle next while still being productive. You’re going to have to get clean sometime!
- Set deadlines– On the days that I just can’t get going, I’ll sometimes set some kind of deadline for when I have to start being productive. Examples: I’ll read this chapter after this next YouTube video. At 9:30, I’ll login to my email. After I write this post, I’ll finally take that quiz. That last one may or may not be my current deadline…
- Make your friends be productive with you– This one is definitely not for everyone, but it works for me! A few times a week, the stars and our schedules align so that a bunch of my friends all have a gap at the same time during the day. This is what we refer to as social hour. This is when I can get things out of the way that don’t require a whole lot of brain power, but I don’t want to do sitting in my room alone. We’ve had plenty of study parties so far, too. I personally can get a lot of work done when I’m with friends, but I know that others can’t! I like being able to take a break and chat while for a bit.
- I can’t think of a fifth thing I do, but I already made the bullet point. Oh well.
Okay the mac ‘n cheese is done, so I must be done as well. Time to cross my fingers and take this Econ quiz. Send good vibes. Let my know what you do to stay focused because man, do I need all the help I can get. I’ll see you when I see you, and have a nice day!